Contact Erin to present yoga philosophy and history at your studio, either as a part of teacher training or as continuing education workshops.
Erin has extensive training in Yoga philosophy, including hundreds of hours of study with Dr. Douglas Brooks. Erin is currently enrolled in Embodied Philosophy’s Yoga Philosophy 300-hour Online Training & Certification. She has studied and taught the Yoga Sutras, the Bhagavad Gita, Tantra philosophy and more. Erin is currently writing a book on the contemporary history of American yoga.
YOGA TEACHER TRAINING: Erin is on the faculty of Mudra Yoga’s teacher training program, offering training in yoga history and philosophy including the Yoga Sutras and the Bhagavad Gita. The next training starts in 2020, date TBD.
Yoga is so much more than the practice of yoga postures. Dive deeper into Yoga with this monthly multimedia lecture and discussion series. All levels of practitioner are welcome, including yoga teachers who want to expand their knowledge.
Monthly Philosophy Talks in person and via Zoom Conferencing are resuming in February 2020 at Mayu Sanctuary! Topics will include:
• How did we get to our mats? Explore the origins of yoga and get a broad overview of the ancient roots of the practice.
• Bhakti Yoga: the Bhagavata Purana & Bhakti poetry
• Bhagavad Gita’s backstory: hear stories from the Mahabharata along with stories of Krishna. Learn why the Bhagavad Gita is one of the most important and beloved Yoga texts
• The Goddess traditions
• Traditions of Meditation
• Various Yoga history topics, TBA
Video recordings are available for previous talks (contact Erin to offer these presentations, or any yoga philosophy or history presentations, at your studio/for your group):
• How did we get to our mats? Explore the origins of yoga. Examine key concepts and passages in The Vedas, the earliest text. Consider cultural appropriation and how we can be respectful in our practice. (September 2018)
• Explore Yoga’s ancient history, focusing on key concepts and passages in The Upanishads. Learn about Vedanta, the philosophy based on the Upanishads. Examine how this philosophy inspired New Thought (Ancient Wisdom), a spiritual movement in the West that includes Divine Science and Religious Science. (October 2018)
• Explore the ascetic traditions of Buddhism and Jainism. Examine how these traditions developed alongside yoga and still influence our practice today. (November 2018)
• Explore the embodied practice of Tantra. Compare and contrast Tantra with the ascetic traditions of Buddhism, Jainism and Patanjali’s Yoga. Examine why Tantra is most often associated with sex along with your own views on yoga and sexuality. (January 2019)
• Is instant Karma gonna get you? Explore the concepts of Karma, Karma Yoga and reincarnation. (February 2019)
• What is the goal of yoga? Explore the concepts of enlightenment, bliss and liberation. (April 2019)
You can purchase these video recordings by contacting Hatha Yoga with Erin. Investment: $25 per workshop/video ($15 for Mudra Yoga teacher training graduates and current teacher trainees).
Strong as an Elephant: Yogic Powers (September 2019). Listen to stories about yogic powers. Consider whether powers are a help or a hindrance on your yogic path.